[ register | plug in|
computer | terminals
| printers | gismos | fax,
mail | modems | VMS use ]
recommended reading for CATS visitors and newcomers to CATS computers:
WHAT'S A CAT TO DO ?
Getting your bearings
- A cat's first job is to register with Dorte on the day of arrival.
This is in order to let the rest of the NBI know of your presence.
- If you are so lucky as to get paid for getting here and being here
then you will receive the money the day after filling in the relevant forms
(Dorte will see to that).
- A key for the front door will be given to you after paying a deposit
of DKK 60.00 at the Ekspedition.
- A key for the Chaos common-room will be given to you (free of charge!)
- How do I do this and that?? Ask your colleagues here - most of us have
have been through the same paces. As the go
to Dorte Glass. She will always try to help you, but remember that she
is the one secretary taking care of the CATS administration, and depending
how you count, some 20-40 people associated with CATS at any given time.
A cat has basically no responsibilities except doing her/his research.
But we do try to make the center feline friendly, and there are a few ways
in which you can make it better, such as participating in
- cats informal group meeting 10:30 EVERY wed. in Kc7: to discuss half
baked ideas, meet new visitors etc. The whole point is that it is NOT necessarily
the topic that you work on, but opportunity to think about other problems.
- NBIfAFG joint colloquium (once a month, at HCO): all are urged to attend.
It is the one colloquium that is carefully planned and likely to be good.
- please subscribe yourself to the e-mail
distribution lists of interest to you, at least
email@example.com (seminars, conference announcements, jobs)
firstname.lastname@example.org (CATS - everybody - announcements)
To find out what lists exist and who is on them, to add or delete an
address from the group mailing, etc.:
please set up
~/.plan on Unix machines, FINGER.PLN on NBIVMS accounts,
so other people can find you.
remember to contribute a copy of any of your new preprints/reprints
to the preprint shelf in the chaos room.
please submit your preprints to email@example.com
please remember to , both
the front and the back door, if last one to leave.
the does not work here; please keep our common
Getting a computer account
- almost all machines have a common visitor account; ask a cat for details.
- longer term visitors: ask Dorte to help you get your own account.
- our fast Unix machines are the DEC-Alpha cluster alf.nbi.dk, kaos.nbi.dk,
kompleks.nbi.dk, cats.nbi.dk, etc.. Nordita has Sparcs and Silicon Graphics;
it is possible to arrange access to Connect and high energy theory HP's,
and TAC's Silicon Graphics cluster.
- account on nbivms.nbi.dk is useful if you like VMS.
Very few locals are still VMS users - you will get better help on
- if you have special needs, like getting your own computer onto the
net, contact Bjorn Nilsson firstname.lastname@example.org ahead of your arrival.
Users of alf.nbi.dk, nordita.dk and other unix machines:
- to set yourself up quickly, copy the setup files .login .cshrc .alias
.mwmrc .elm/elmrc .elm/aliases.text from somebody, for example ~predrag/*
. (will need some editing)
- please set up a file .plan in your home directory, with your address,
phones, dates of upcoming trips, phones and faxes there, etc. Example:
if you are email@example.com, with file /home/albert/.plan, other alf.nbi.dk
users can get the information by
and rest of the world by
introduction to the
recommended mailer: elm (has the same appearance from any terminal
or telnet connection)
set up your Web homepage - more and more people use the netscape/mosaic
to get preprints, information etc.
Our homepage is on alf.nbi.dk:~wwwcats/Web/Welcome.html. Please contribute
to it - anybody in the nbicmplx group can
- all cats have access to the terminals in the common chaos room. These
terminals are primarily for the CATS research staff; if you are but a humble
students and the place looks crowded, please find a free terminal elsewhere.
- lock the screen or stay logged whene gone. Feel
free to log out whoever seems to have abandoned the terminal if you need
- if the above are occupied, you can use (unless the office occupant
explicitly bans this):
HP Xterminal, side office to the chaos room
DEC Alpha workstation, Alstrom office
Xterminal, Levinsen office
Sun workstation, MH Jensen office
DEC Alpha workstation, Cvitanovic' office
Xterminal, Dorte office
Xterminal, Dimon office
Macintosh, T Bohr office
Linux PC, Ellegaard office
Linux PC's, CATS labs in the basement
nordita basement and attic, basement under cafeteria have public terminals
CATS labs have a number of (networked) PC's
T Bohr/D Glass have a Mac Powerbook you might be able to loan
Predrag has a linux notebook you might be able to loan
linux gurus: high energy experimental group, students down in the labs
(if you get them on the right day)
- for current printer instructions, check `man printers' on alfa cluster
- ps printer in chaos room:
- PS$COMPLEX on NBIVMS, prps, dvips on workstations
- lpr -Ppscats name.ps, -Pprcats file.name from unix workstations
- Mac printer in T Bohr office; our Mac affecdionado is T Bohr
- HP3$PRINT on NBIVMS, 2-sided printer DVIJEP file.dvi (cafeteria basement)
- nordita.dk jet-ink color ps printer: norsci0 use lpr -Pnorcp1
- connect.nbi.dk (ask Benny Lautrup@nbi.dk)
also has color printer: connect use lp -dconnectp1
- T Bohr/D Glass have a Mac/PC compatible overhead projector LCD
- scanners are available in CATS labs, Nordita basement (you can use qchaos
account), at TAC, and at the high energy experimental group.
- Predrag might have an unused fax modem and/or a pocket modem floating
Mail, phone, fax, photocopiers
- there is fax in Dorte's office, 353 25 425. A short fax is cheaper
than mail postage for the Institute. Even simpler, you can send a fax
directly from an e-mail.
- mark your name on outgoing mail, leave it in the red mailbox vis-a-vis
the expedition entry, or ``outgoing mail'' tray in the Kb floor hallway
- pay private mail postage, phone calls, photocopies to the expedition
- there is a small photocopier in the chaos room
- ask Dorte for the photocopier code for the photocopiers by the NBI
Computer acces from home
- Tomas Bohr might help you with modem connections
- If you have a modem and want to use ppp (to rlogin to alf or use netscape
from home) check instructions on alf.nbi.dk by typing
Users of nbivms.nbi.dk:
- please set up a file FINGER.PLN in your home directory, with your address,
phones, dates of upcoming trips, phones and faxes there, etc. Example:
if you are AEINSTEIN@NBIVMS.NBI.DK, with file [AEINSTEIN]FINGER.PLN, other
NBIVMS users can get the information by typing
unfortunately, the world cannot reach you by finger `firstname.lastname@example.org'
so keeping the .plan on a unix machine is preferable.
For further info about other subjects, login as QCHAOS and type:
PRINTINFO about the printers (see also HELP PRINTERS)
EDITORINFO or EVEINFO (for info about the EVE editor)
MAILINFO Mail setup
LATEXINFO LATEX/TEX setup and drivers
FORINFO FORTRAN setup
LIBINFO access to library catalogues
to print TeX files on the chaos room printer
DVI2PS filename, que PS$COMPLEX
please add yourself other useful newcomer information that this page
This document has been retrieved 1,055 times since 28-Jul-96 CronCount
(counted once every 24 hours)
21 Oct 1996: Predrag Cvitanovic, email@example.com
29 Jul 1996: Nikolaj Berntsen, firstname.lastname@example.org