Visa/residence permit

To obtain a residence/work permit or an extension of it, you will need a letter of invitation from the Institute which, together with your passport and 2 photos, is to be presented personally to the authorities. Please contact the Guest Secretariate ( or the local Institute Departments for advice (Astronomical Observatory:, Department of Geophysics:, Ørsted Laboratory:  

The Danish Immigration Service

(Directorate of Immigration)
Ryesgade 53  
2100 København Ø
Tel.: 35 36 66 00
Visa tel:.35 30 84 90
08:30 - 12:00 Monday-Friday
15:30 - 17:30 Thursday only
09:00 - 12:00 Friday





(staying in the vicinity of Copenhagen or in Frederiksberg)
Københavns Statsamt 
Hejrevej 43 
2400 København NV
Tel.: 38 17 06 00   
09:00 - 15:00 Monday-Wednesday
09:00 - 17:00 Thursday
09:00 - 13:00 Friday

It will take about 2 weeks time to get the permit.


(staying in the Municipality of Copenhagen)
Hammerensgade 1     
1267 København K    
Tel.: 33 12 23 80 
10:00 - 15:00 Monday-Wednesday
10:00 - 17:00 Thursday
10:00 - 13:00 Friday
It will take about 2 weeks´ time to get the permit.


CPR no. ( = Personal Registration Number) to be obtained from the Civil Reg. Office.

Residing in Denmark for a longer period (more than 3 months) you are required by law to register with the Civil Registration Office (Folkeregisteret) to get a CPR no. Please bring personal papers (passport or EU identity card,marriage certificate, or divorce decree (if any)), and your Danish address - ask the secretary to confirm in a letter the exact address (with ´C/O´, where applicable). The registration applies to your family as well, whether they arrive together with you or later. The Folkeregister will send you a letter with your CPR no. The medical card can be expected after approx. 2-6 weeks dependent on presentation of the EU-form 104 or not. For non-EU nationalities it can take up to 3 months before you receive the medical card; you will, however, be covered 6 weeks after the registration. If you change your address during your stay in Denmark or you leave permanently, the Folkeregister must be informed (can be done by mail).

(for those who live in the municipality of Copenhagen)  
Folkeregisteret (Civil Registration Office) 
Dahlerupsgade 6       
1603 Copenhagen V  
Tel: 70 80 70 10
Office hours:
09:30 - 14:30 Monday - Wednesday
09:30 - 17:30 Thursday
09:30 - 13:00 Friday


NBI Start Valid HTML 4.01!

Last modified: 28 April 2003 
by Hanne N. Christensen