Center for the Philosophy of Nature and Science Studies
at the Faculty of Science, University of Copenhagen. (Main page of CPNSS here)
The centre is headed by the director, advised by a board governed by the Faculty of Science, and hosted by the Niels Bohr Institute. The staff is organized around three networks of persons with interests in history, philosophy and social studies of science, often with positions at other institutes at the Faculty of Science, namely (1) the FVT-group which is the teaching of science studies group devoted to develop courses in theory of science for the bachelor programmes ("Fagets Videnskabsteori"), see Danish page for this group here; (2) a Philosophy of Nature network of researchers interested in questions of ontology, metaphysics, epistemology, history and ethics of science related to their particular field of expertise; and (3) a related group investigating expontology, a field with old roots that you can read more about here.
Thus the centre is small, with one permanent position (the director's), a group of ph.d. students, additional guest researchers, and other affiliated parsons, such as one assigned professor with a permanent position at the GEUS centre. We have no vacant positions and are in need of grants for Ph.D. student and post-docs.
The FVT-group: (at the faculty of science; the group is part of a larger network)
The Philosophy of Nature network: (includes also some members of the FVT-group, see above)
- Finn Aaserud, head of the Niels Bohr Archive
- John Avery, Professor, Chemical Institute
- Christian Baron, teaching assistant at Institute of Biology and CPNSS, ph.d. student.
- Hasse Clausen, Prof. at DIKU, the Institute of Computer Science.
- Claus Emmeche, director at CPNSS.
- Tom Børsen, professor at the Department of Education, Learning and Philosophy, Aalborg University; external lecturer at CPNSS.
- Jens Morten Hansen, Professor, CPNSS & the Danish Research Agency.
- Jesper Hoffmeyer, Professor, Institute of Molecular Biology, The Biosemiotics Group
- Anders Frøslev Jensen, Ph.D. student at the Institute of Exercise and Sport Sciences, and CPNSS.
- Mikkel Willum Johansen, philosopher and mathematician, ph.d. student at CPNSS.
- Benny Lautrup, Professor, Niels Bohr Institute
- Jesper Lützen, Professor, Matematical Institute
- Kjeld Rasmussen, Prof. at the Institute of Geography.
- Theresa Schilhab, Prof. at Department of Learning, The Danish School of Education.
Expontology group: (defined here)
- Niels Bonde, Professor, Institute of Geology
- Jørgen Gomme, Professor, August Krogh Institute
- Frank Hansen, Professor, Geographical Institute
- Inge Henningsen, Professor, Department of Statistics and Operations Research
- Lene Koch, Professor, Dept. of Social Medicine, Panum Institute
- Ryszard Nest, Professor, Mathematical Institute
- Per Kjærgaard Rasmussen, Professor, Astronomical Observatory, Niels Bohr Institute
- Svend Erik Rugh, independent scholar (Symposion, Copenhagen).
- Stanley N. Salthe, CPNSS associate (& Biological Sciences, Binghamton University).
- Henrik Zinkernagel, CPNSS associate & Contract researcher (Department of Philosophy, Campus de Cartuja, University of Granada, Spain).
Artist in residence:
- Luis Emilio Bruni, the Institute of Media Technology and Engineering Science, Aalborg University.
- Claus Emmeche, Director at CPNSS.
- Angelica M. M. Gregoriussen, molecular biologist.
- Anne Gry Haugland, Ph.D. student at Dept. of Scandinavian Studies and Linguistics, and CPNSS.
- Majken Hirche, independent scholar at CPNSS.
- Rut Jesus, Ph.D. student at CPNSS.
- Mikkel Willum Johansen, Ph.D. student at CPNSS and Institute for Mathematical Sciences.
- Theresa Schilhab, Department of Learning, The Danish School of Education.
- Rasmus Grønfeldt Winther, visiting scholar from the Department of Philosophy, UCSC, USA.
Visiting guest researchers and center associates:
- Luis Emilio Bruni, research consultant at CPNSS, assistant professor at the Institute of Media Technology and Engineering Science, Aalborg University.
- Charbel Niño El-Hani, occasionally visiting scholar (Research Group on History, Philosophy, and the Teaching of Biological
Sciences, Institute of Biology, Federal University of Bahia, Brazil).
- Majken Hirche, independent scholar, biologist.
- Eva M. Neumann-Held, occasionally visiting scholar (Institut für Philosophie, Philipps-Universität Marburg, Germany)
- Svend Erik Rugh, visiting scholar, teaching assistant at NBI, University of Copenhagen.
- Maximilian Schlosshauer, center associate and NBI postdoctoral research fellow.
- Rasmus Grønfeldt Winther, occasionally visiting scholar (Department of Philosophy, University of California Santa Cruz, USA)
- Henrik Zinkernagel, occasionally visiting scholar (Department of Philosophy, Campus de Cartuja, University of Granada, Spain).
Former Masters students:
Former ph.d. students:
Former senior affiliates:
- Nanna Heinz, CPNSS and Institute of Biology.
Main page | Background |
Hugin and Munin | Courses | Links | Bibliographies