Publications on Artificial Life and "real life"
- Claus Emmeche (1991): "A semiotical reflection on biology, living signs and artificial life", Biology & Philosophy 6(3): 325-340.
- C. Emmeche (1992): "Life as an abstract phenomenon: is Artificial Life possible?", pp. 466-474 in: Francisco J. Varela and Paul Bourgine (eds.): Toward a Practice of Autonomous Systems. Proceedings of the First European Conference on Artificial Life. The MIT Press, Cambridge, Mass.
- C. Emmeche (1992): "Modeling Life: A note on the semiotics of emergence and computation in artificial and natural systems", pp. 77-99 in:Biosemiotics. The Semiotic Web 1991, Thomas A. Sebeok & Jean Umiker-Sebeok, eds., Mouton de Gruyter Publishers, Berlin and New York.
- C. Emmeche (1993): "Is life as a multiverse phenomenon?", pp.553-568 in: Christopher G. Langton, ed.: Artificial Life III (= Santa Fe Institute Studies in the Sciences of Complexity, Proceedings Volume XVII), Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, Reading, Massachusetts.
- C. Emmeche (1994):The garden in the machine. The emerging science of artificial life. Princeton University Press, Princeton. (translation of a Danish introduction to Artificial Life, transl. by Steven Sampson. (Also in other translations. More about this book here).
- C. Emmeche (1994): "The computational notion of life",Theoria - Segunda Epoca 9 (21): 1-30.
- Claus Emmeche (2004): "A-life, organism and body: The semiotics of emergent levels", pp. 117-124 in: Mark Bedeau, Phil Husbands, Tim Hutton, Sanjev Kumar & Hideaki Suzuki (eds.): Workshop and Tutorial Proceedings. Ninth International Conference on the Simulation and Synthesis of Living Systems (Alife IX), Boston Massachusetts, September 12th, 2004. [pdf file (76 K)]
Go to: home page; overview; list of all online publications.